RE: Hosts/DNS Problems w/ new Woody installs

Hmmm...I see there's an open bug report against libc6 for this since
September 28th, 2001 (Heh, I guess that's why downgrading to
libc6-2.2.5-6 didn't help:P).  It's exactly the problem I mentioned,
except that the original reporter only saw the behavior in telnet.

It's extremely odd, because gethostbyname() will return the address from
/etc/hosts, however every program I've tried (with the notable exception
of 'ping') tries DNS first, then /etc/hosts if there's no DNS entry.

Can anyone repeat this problem?  I imagine everyone must be having
it...And if so, are there any workarounds anyone can think of?:)

 - James