Hosts/DNS Problems w/ new Woody installs

Hey,

I can't believe I can't figure this out:P

I recently installed woody on 3 seperate boxes.  On all of them, DNS
seems to be taking precendence over the hosts file, despite the fact
that nsswitch.conf is configured to look at hosts first.  To make
matters even more strange, ping gets the correct (hosts) address, while
all other programs get the incorrect (DNS) version.

For example, in /etc/hosts I have the following entry:

192.168.10.1	www.yahoo.com

ping www.yahoo.com returns:

PING www.yahoo.com (192.168.10.1): 56 data bytes

However, telnet returns:
# telnet www.yahoo.com
Trying 66.218.71.80...

I've even gone so far as to setup nsswitch.conf like the following:
hosts:          files [SUCCESS=return] dns

Which is kind of rediculous, because that's already the default
behavior.

I've tried it with nscd, and without nscd.  Always the same result.  If
I remove 'dns' from the hosts: database in nsswitch.conf, telnet gets
the correct address.  If I put dns first, then everything (including
ping) gets the DNS address.

my host.conf looks like:

order hosts,bind
multi on

This is surprising, since this really is a pretty-much default install.
Any help anyone can offer would be very much appreciated (As I'm
starting to tear my hair out:P)

 - James