Getting ~/.shosts to work

I realize that ~/.shosts is generally not recommended, but I have a
situation where it would be acceptable and the simplest solution.
Unfortunately, it isn't working. Can anyone help?

The situation is that I have a Windows ME machine that needs to be
backed up onto a Linux system (Debian Sid). I have set up a special
account for that machine to use, which logins to a chroot jail where
next to nothing is available in the way of tools (just bash and rsync,
plus the backup data). In the special account's home directory (the real
one, not the one in the chroot jail), I placed a .shosts file that
should allow the Windows machine to connect to ssh without a password. I
then modified sshd_config to enable ssh v1 (Protocol=2,1 and the v1
HostKey), RhostsAuthentication=yes, and IgnoreRhosts=no, and restarted
sshd. However, sshd still prompts for a password when the Windows
machine connects.

What might I be doing wrong? According to the ssh man pages, my .shosts
file is in the right place (~/.shosts), and its format should be right:

host user

where host is the DNS name of the Windows machine, as determined by
reverse DNS lookup, and user is the username of the Windows account
under which the backup script is being run. Furthermore, .shosts is
owned by the special account, with permissions 600.

So why doesn't it work? Any ideas?

Craig