Re: Lilo boot splash on Woody

On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Pat Colbeck wrote:

> Hi
>
> Last night I tried to install the lilo Debian boot splash from kde-look.org
> (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=3009) on my vanilla Woody
> system. Lilo complained about a syntax error in lilo.conf when I tried it. I
> am using the Woody 2.4.18 kernel. So far as I can see the lilo.conf syntax is
> correct. Does the lilo that ships with Woody not support boot-splash ?

Hi,

i use the boot-splash from Philipp Wolfer available on the debian.org
side for my kernel 2.2.20 ... i send you the README file for further
information:

[...]

Debian Lilo Bootscreen 0.2
(c) 2002 Philipp Wolfer
Debian Logo
(c) 1999 Software in the Public Interest

This is a graphical lilo bootscreen for Debian GNU/Linux. It is
available in three versions, one for Debian 2.4 alias 'Woody', one
for the unstable 'Sid' and one for Debian 2.2 alias 'Potato'. Please
notice that the Lilo coming with 'Potato' doesn't support graphical
boot menus. You must update to a newer version in order to use it.

I created this bootscreen by using the official Debian Open Use Logo
available from http://www.debian.org/logos

You can use this bootscreen for free without restrictions as long as
you respect the license for the Debian Open Use Logo.

1. INSTALLATION
Installation is easy. Just copy (as root) the
debian-bootscreen-woody.bmp or debian-bootscreen-potato.bmp to /boot.
Now open the /etc/lilo.conf in your favourite text editor and add the
following lines:

# Enable graphical boot menu:
bitmap=/boot/debian-bootscreen-woody.bmp
bmp-colors=1,,0,2,,0
bmp-table=120p,173p,1,15,17
bmp-timer=254p,432p,1,0,0

Then you should replace the existing line install=... (should be
something like install=/boot/boot-menu.b) by

install=/boot/boot-bmp.b

Also you have to define the time Lilo should wait before booting the
default system. This is done by adding the line (or replacing an
existing line):

timeout=80

This sets the timeout to 8 seconds.

After you have modified the lilo.conf you must rewrite the boot sector
by calling the command "lilo"

2. BOOT PARAMETERS WITH GRAPHICAL LILO
If you want to enter some boot parameters at boot time you can do this
by pressing [Tab] while the boot menu shows up.
Lilo whil switch into text mode and you can enter the kernel to boot
together with any option like boot=...

3. MODIFIEING THE BOOTSCREEN
This bootscreen is also available as a GIMP xcf image
(debian-bootscreen-0.1.xcf). The xcf image contains all three versions
of the bootscreen. The different texts for each version are located on
separate layers. The font used was charter, bold, 26pt

In order to use this image as a bottscreen you have to change the
color depth to 16 colors. Then save the image as a bitmap file (.bmp).

If you are using GIMP you have to to do this as follows:
Select "Layers -> Flatten Image".
Select "Image -> Mode -> Indexed..."
In the following dialog set "Generate Optimal Palette" with 16 colors.
In "Dither Options" set "No Color Dithering".
Now save the image as a bitmap file.

Note that if you are changing the color depth to 16 colors the
resulting color palette can differ from the one in the original
bootscreen bitmaps. Since Lilo takes the colors for the menu text from
this palette it could be necessary to change the lilo.conf.

For details on how to do this see the manpage of lilo.conf.

4. CONTACT
Please send comments and suggestions about this Debian bootscreen to
phil@newswriter.org

[...]

Oliver
--