Re: problem with ATA133 PCI card and Woody install

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 06:52:41PM +0200, Kovacs Krisztian wrote:
> Hi !
>
> I have an old no-name mainboard (for Celeron 300A) without
> a BIOS update and a Quantum 40GB HDD. So I have bought a
> Kouwell KW-571B ATA133 RAID PCI card (Sil0680 chip) to use
> the HDD. But when I install Woody, it doesn't recognise the
> HDD on the ATA card.
>
> Is there any module for it ??? (I have searched for drivers
> the mainsite but nothing. www.kouwell.com.tw)
>
> I have tried all the flaivours shipped with Debian 3.0r0
> 7CDs ... (bf24, compact, idepci, vanilla)
>
> I have managed to recognise Debian the HDD: without the ATA
> card:
> I have turn off the HDD in the BIOS of the mainboard
> But this time I have to boot from floppy disk ... And I
> don't know the linux will use UDMA33/66 ...

maybe you should compile your own kernel and insert needed driver -
it may not be included in precompiled kernel

it may be also possible to use the disk without a driver (but no 66+ then)
this described into 'Linux ata-100 pseudo mini-howto'
some options to the kernel .. like ide0=<address>