Re: safe emergency shutdown?

On  0, Kent West <westk@nicanor.acu.edu> wrote:
> Peter Christensen wrote:
> >I'm fairly new to Debian and Linux, so this may have the most obvious
> >answer, but here's what happened:
> >
> >I added an application to the panel in kde (I think that's what it's
> >called; it's the strip along the bottom where you can click to activate
> >the console, help, etc.)  This worked OK, but the new icon was hidden
> >behind the scroll arrows on the right side, so I tried moving it to the
> >left.  At that point nothing worked again on the panel.  I was able to get
> >to the console by doing an alt-F1 (I think) and then shut down the system
> >safely.  But this morning I tried to remove the new icon from the panel.
> >And again, the panel froze, so I couldn't start any applications.  Also,
> >the keyboard was dead.  Alt-Fn didn't work, ctrl-alt-del did nothing, and
> >even when I hit the caps-lock the caps-lock light didn't go on.  The mouse
> >still worked, but I couldn't start any applications.  So I ended up
> >turning the power off.
> >I understand that bad things can happen if you just turn off the power
> >while Linux is running.  But it seemed that I had no alternative.  Any
> >idea what happened here, and what I should have done to get out of it?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Peter Christensen
> >

> Others have addressed this, but let me add that there's a "Magic
> SysRequest" key (or something similar) that can help you regain control
> in some situations like this. I've never used it (nor studied up on it),
> but thought I'd mention it in case you want to pursue it. It's an option
> when you compile your own kernel.

Alt+SysRq+S	- Sync Disks.
Alt+SysRq+U	- Remount filesystems read-only.
Alt+SysRq+B	- Reboot the machine (effectively a warm reboot).

This sequence should save your disks, and is available in almost any
crash.  I'm not sure if its enabled in the default Debian kernel,
though.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"Chaos Theory is a new theory invented by scientists panicked by the thought that the public were beginning to understand the old ones."
	- Mike Barfield

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au