Re: [Fwd: Re: Newbie Needs help w/ Local eth network]

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 04:47:20PM -0400, fbrian@nac.net wrote:
> Thanks for the help
>
> Trying to get box1 networked to box2 via ethernet
> I am using a crossover cable
>
> >From Box2 I can ping to 192.168.1.1 (address of eth1 on box1)
> I can ssh to 192.168.1.1 (address of eth1 on box 1)
>
> can not ping sites like www.debian.org etc....

If you want box2 (with a private 192.168.x.x address) to get to the 'net
thru box1, then you will need to run ipchains (kernel 2.2) or iptables
(kernel 2.4) and ipmasq (ip masquerading, sometimes known as NAT or
network address translation).

There are numerous howto's on this subject or you might just look thru
the archives of this list or debian-firewall list for some 'recipes'.
Some folks have good results using firewall 'kits' instead of setting up
ipchains or iptables from scratch; never done that myself, but you may
find references to these in list archives or on sites like freshmeat or
sourceforge.

As to the basic networking between the two boxes, it looks like you have
that perfect - when box one is doing NAT, you will just set it's
'inside' interface address as the default gateway for box2 - that's it!

Good luck, hope this helps.

aloha,
dave