Re: somewhat OT: motherboard replacement

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 04:17:28PM -0500, burningclown@burningclown.com wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Would appreciate advice on this topic, if anyone has a moment to offer it.
>
> I've been happily running Debian for 2 years or so on a Dell Dimension XPS
> T700r. A bit over two weeks ago I suffered what I can only assume was a
> lightning strike at home while I was in Manhattan at work: came home to a fried
> DSL modem and what I thought was a fried NIC.
>
> Now, however, it -appears- that more damage was done. I've tried two replacement
> NICs, in various slots, to no avail. The system can't 'see' em, even though
> they are very similar (same driver) to the original card. Have been told by a
> couple of people that it sounds as though the motherboard took a hit.

The Dell case is probably not going to take anything but another Dell
motherboard; even out of warranty they may sell you a refurb for very
little; perhaps with a faster CPU.

On their (Dell's) site, you should be able to find diags, asssuming the
system can still boot from floppy to confirm the condition of the mother
board (Dell's diags are quite extensive and well written).

aloha,
dave