Re: mixing CD's and web

On 29 Aug 2002, 16:13:22, Geoff Crompton wrote:
>   At home, I prefer to install my packages from CD's, because it so
>   quick (compared to download) and I don't type up the phone line.
>   However it does make it difficult to get the newer software (I can't
>   track testing or unstable). Is there a way of setting apt-get up so that
>   it will try and install software from the CD's, but if it is not
>   available it will then worry about checking online archives? I don't
>   want to have to apt-get update to get access to some new software, but
>   then not be able to use the CD's for anything.

List, correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how it works.  All of my CDs (I
jigdo'd and burned the full set of 7, and did the apt-cdrom add for each
of them) are listed first in /etc/apt/sources.list, and then the various
online sources.

I run apt-get update daily, and package installs are typically fulfilled
by CD, UNLESS a newer version of the package, or package component, is available online.

If you don't run apt-get update, then your local apt package database won't be aware
of newer versions, and it will always go to the CDs.  Then, when you want,
be online, do an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, which will upgrade everything
that can or needs to be, and go on from there.   From then on, when you run
an apt-get install, if there is a newer version online, you'll need to download
it, but if there isn't a newer rev, then you can install from CD.

I think apt is way kewl . . .

madmac

--
Doug MacFarlane