gdm upgrade

Hi everyone,

I am running Woody with a 2.4.18 kernel on my box, and I was wondering
whether or not it is possible to safely install a gdm - version with
that fancy graphical greeter option (not quite sure from which version
on that is supported) without leaving my stable status at all. Since
even Sid only provides with gdm 2.2.5.5 as Woody does, the solution
would be to download the sources and compile them, thus bypassing the
package system.

But since every gdm version after 2.2.5.5 is described as highly
unstable, I am not quite sure if that would somehow endanger my system.

Anybody got some ideas ?

Thanks

Matt