Secure privacy services?

What options exist for me to get anonymous, secure, encrypted web surfing?

I'm really distressed about a couple articles running on /. tonight, one about NAI acquiring some kind of super-Carnivore, the other about a proposal in Canada to require all ISP's to log their user's surfing habits.

I had tried out the service offerred by http://www.freedom.net/ back when it was in beta test, which uses multiple encrypted proxies, and I think that kind of thing would be best, but their page says they only support Internet Explorer on Windows.

The kind of thing I'd like to do is run a proxy on my gateway machine, and have it make encrypted connections to the privacy service.

http://www.anonymizer.com/ looks promising, but it appears that the way it works is that you get an SSH tunnel to anonymizer's servers. That would keep my ISP from snooping on me, but if the heavy bootheels of the law came kicking down anonymizer's doors, they might be able to get their logs. What is needed is something with multiple layers of security.

http://www.peekabooty.org/ looks very promising, but it is in its infancy and so far is only available for Windows. While they do plan a Linux port, it's not available yet.

What else is there?

I run a lot of different OSes in my house, and use the web from all of them, and would like to have anonymity provided for everything. This would require it to be implemented by my gateway machine.

Thanks

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford