Re: Question about CUPS LPD support (towards Mac OS X).

    "Shyamal" == Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> writes:

    Shyamal> Another lpd client is a Macintosh G4 runing OS X (v10.1
    Shyamal> to be precise). From this machine all print attempts
    Shyamal> result in raw postscript on the printer. After fooling
    Shyamal> around a while I noticed that the control file (the C*
    Shyamal> files in the cups spool directory) always gets the wrong
    Shyamal> mime type for files from the Mac. It says
    Shyamal> application/vnd.cups-raw instead of
    Shyamal> application/postscript.

Hi,

Ben Ridenhour gave me a solution off-line that I am posting here in
case some one else needs to look up a solution. The problem was that
cups-lpd default installation does not run filters on print jobs
submitted remotely. To get the filters to run you need force the
document type to application/octet-stream

You can achieve this by modifying /etc/inetd.conf (or your xinetd
configuration if that is what you are using) entry for the printer
port to look like this:

printer stream tcp nowait lp /usr/lib/cups/daemon/cups-lpd cups-lpd -o document-
format=application/octet-stream

This is pretty nicely documented in the cups-lpd man page.

Cheers!
Shyamal