Re: I played with the devil now libc6 wants to update ...

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 05:42:37PM -0700, Sebastian Haase wrote:
> > I think you should be able to safely install libc6_2.2.5-14.
> >
> > Put unstable into /etc/apt/sources.list
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get -s -t unstable libc6
> >
> > "-s" will make apt-get simulate changes that would occur if you
> > actually did the installation. If changes look OK, rerun apt-get
> > without -s option.
> >
> > Keep track of what gets installed; if you later want to downgrade to
> > the previous version of libc6, you can do so using apt's pin
> > priorities or with dpkg with --force-downgrade option.
> >

> All this looks REALLY scary to me.
> I think I don't even like the '-t unstable ' for ANYTHING anymore.
> How do you get this to work in the first place ? You need to put (add!)
> 'unstable'
> into apt/sources.lists -- and then? Who prevents you then from going
> 'unstable'
> altogether ?? /etc/apt/preferences ??

Yes, that is one way.

cat /etc/apt/preference

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 90

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 60

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

The above /etc/apt/preferences will allow you to install packages from
sarge and sid with apt-get's -t option. Without -t option installs and
upgrades will only come from woody.

Another way is to comment out unstable sources after you have
installed packages you want. The next apt-get update will not download
any info about sid packages.

Another alternative is to not change /etc/apt/sources.list at all,
download debs from debian mirror, and install with dpkg.

> I think the only real solution is to go from source-packages for everything
> that's
> unstable. (Meaning: I think debian does not support actually mixing unstable
> into stable
> [if you don't compile it from the source package yourself !!] )

This would be safest approach. Since sid and sarge are still
relatively close to woody, this won't be too difficult at present.

--
Jerome