Re: internet access using DHCP works only on windows

Use 8139too, the other module won't do anyhing for you. They are set up by 'modconf'. Just run it, and specify any required params. The IRQ seems to be alright, so you should be able to set up the interface now. This is done by adding some lines to /etc/network/interfaces:

auto eth0 [lo and sometimes others]

iface eth0 inet dhcp

inet stands for IP(v4)

for static addresses use "static" instead of "dhcp"

then specify addresses:
address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
netmask xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Rafael wrote:
here's my dmesg output:
8139cp 10/100 PCI Ethernet driver v0.0.6 (Nov 19, 2001)
8139cp: pci dev 00:0e.0 (id 10ec:8139 rev 10) is not an 8139C+ compatible
chip

8139cp: Try the "8139too" driver instead.
8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.24
PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 00:0e.0
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xcc81a000, 00:e0:7d:91:86:e7, IRQ 10
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
I verified on my ethernet board and it says 8139C
which one its on use? 8139cp and 8139too module? Where can I setup them?