Re: Mail reader

On 27 Aug 2002 12:11:43 -0600
"Gary Hennigan" <glhenni@sandia.gov> wrote:

> I could ask the same question only turned around -- Why use 4 or 5
> utilities, with each being a possible point of failure in what these
> days has become an important communication medium to most folks, when
> one will suffice?

IMO, because with seperate tools, you can use a best-of-breed solution
rather than having each client reinvent the wheel in a possibly
sub-optimal way.

> It's a matter of taste. Do you want to maintain a number of simple
> smaller tools for mail or a single tool. I still divide up some of the
> tasks: I use fetchmail instead of gnus native IMAP support, and I use
> procmail to filter at a high level and gnus to do fine-level sorting.

Personally, yes.  Then I don't have to worry about patching/rewritting
functionality because I don't like the way the MUA does things.  With
seperate tools, in most cases, I can change one without effecting the
others.  Additionally with mail being filter/sorted by an external
application it doesn't matter what workstation or client I use to read my
mail.  I don't have worry about workstation X not having the filtering
rules that workstation Y has.

--
Jamin W. Collins