Re: installing woody bf24 on vmware 2.0.4 and local apic problems

On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 10:22:37PM +1000, Rob Weir wrote:

> If you're planning to put your / on a LVM partition,

I am.  Rather I did.  It's done already, on real hardware however, not
vmware.

> bf2.4 won't help
> you anyhow.

Sure it will.  In as much as it's a reasonable kernel to use lvm
against during the install to get / on LVM.  Like I said, I have
achieved what I wanted (/ and all other filesystems on LVM), albeit I
had to use real hardware rather than vmware.  A real machine was the
target, but I was just hoping to "play" with vmware rather than have
to play on real hardware.  It's easier to use vmware on X11 than it is
to switch back and forth to a real machine with a kvm.

> You won't be able to create your /,

Ahhh.  But I did.  :-)  As well as /usr and /var.

> and the installer won't
> be able to do much after that;)

Actually, the installer was very useful once I got LVM and the
filesystems set up.

> Karsten has put up a Debian-Chroot-Install howto (don't have exact
> address handy) on his site <http://kmself.home.netcom.com/>, which would
> let you install onto a small, temporary partition, from which you can
> set up the LVM partition and migrate your / to.

It was cleaner to do it the way I did because it made for one small
primary partition to put /boot on and one large primary partition that
I made an LVM PV out of.  I prefer that than to have a bunch of
partitions which I make LVM PVs out of.

Thanx for all of your input however.

Now that I have done it, I will be back (on the appropriate list) with
suggestions for the installation process to make it easier.  :-)

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell