Re: Open a second X session

Once upon a time Francois Fayard said...
> On Sunday 25 August 2002 09:11, Christian Heimke wrote:
> > Am Sonntag, 25. August 2002 07:23 schrieb Francois Fayard:
> > >
> > > I've just bought Win4Linux. By the way, it's quite a good application for
> > > me. I can run Illustrator that I miss a lot under Linux.
> > >
> > > For that, there is a script that start a new X server, but I'm not
> > > allowed to. I get :
> > >
> > > -----
> > > homogenic% fwin
> > > XFree86 4.x
> > > X running on 0.
> > >
> > > Trying display 1.
> > >
> > > xinit /bin/sh /opt/win4lin/fullx/fwin_start.sh -- :1
> > >
> > > X: user not authorized to run the X server, aborting.
> > > xinit:  unexpected signal 2
> > > -----
> > >
> > > What do I have to do to be able to run another X session ?
> > >
> > you have no right to start it. Login as root and test it, it should be
> > work. Maybe you must change the chmod of the script, or add the user to the
> > group (useradd -gname group) "video" (but I'm not sure...).
>
> I'm already in th video group. Doesn't work. It works as a root user but who
> wants to start Windows as root ?

Check the file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config. There is a setting in this file
that controls who can start an X server. It can be either root, a
console user or anybody. Since I guess you're trying to start the second
X server from within X, you wont be on a console (or root, as you've
said), so you'll need to set this to "Anybody".

You can use debconf to reconfigure this:
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common