Re: Debian and *BSD

> I was wondering if there is a *BSD compatibility in Debian?

Debian doesn't do any kind of FreeBSD binary emulation, so you can't
copy FreeBSD binaries to a Debian system and expect them to run.  But
there's probably no reason to want that, since I am not aware of any
binary-only programs that exist for FreeBSD and not Linux.

> I'm basically dual booting FreeBSD and Debian, because FreeBSD only
> has 90% compatibility with the Linux kernel. I want to install
> Win4Lin, for example, but they do not support the FreeBSD kernel,
> because it is not fully POSIX compliant, etc, etc.

Hmm.  It sounds to me like what you are asking whether you could run
your FreeBSD system under a Linux kernel.  Is that about it?  You can't
do that.  Well, you maybe *could* do that, since all the source is
available and you're free to change either system, but it would likely
take a lot of work.  Especially since the Linux kernel can't run FreeBSD
binaries.

> Anway, Also, can you run FreeBSD packages(i.e. ports) on Debian? I
> have the FreeBSD 4.6 ports on CD and would like to be able to use
> certain packages I like, if possible.  Thanks for your time.

Pretty much any port that exists for FreeBSD also exists as a native
package for Debian.  Install a tool like aptitude for Debian (apt-get
install aptitude) and use that to browse the available packages.

noah