Re: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

[ fork unavailable ]

sorry for the late step-in.....

you can adjust the kernel-hard-limit on processes in /proc. more
precisesely you adjust the /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max parameter.

i just run a complete debian sid installation with over 400 daemons
running concurrently and opened over 30 xterms on my main workstation.
for making this possible, the kernel has to manage more kernel-threads
so they can end up as userland processes.

my config:

-[ /etc/sysctl.conf

kernel.threads-max = 10000000

or

echo 10000000 > /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max

you are probably also well suited with a lower value.

--
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
 elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to