Re: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

On Fri, 23 Aug 2002 08:14:21 -0400
Rick Pasotto <rickp@telocity.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:59:57PM +0200, Adam Galant wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I sometimes get this kind of thing after my computer works for awhile
> > (ie. a longer while...). Probably this is connected to
> > memory-consuming tasks. After I run mozilla, gimp, javac/java and
> > something more, though all those applications are closed, I get this
> > message (fork: Resource temporarily unavailable) when trying to run
> > something.
> >
> > I checked for memory shortages, but I don't thing this is a problem.
> >
> > Any clues?
>
> You have no more process slots. If you run 'ps ax' you should probably
> see many, many entries that shouldn't be there for some program. Kill
> it. Possibly java. For me it used to be gnomeicu.

 Spot on, I've just upgraded to Debian 3.0 and it seems that the root user
is now subject to the `max user processess' limit (do a ulimit -a) I got
_lots_ of fork errors from cron, so I made my cron jobs run as different
users. You can change the limits but I can't remember where.

--
Max Lock, Senior Linux Systems Administrator, TELE2 Mission Control UK.

"Are you the police?" "No ma'am, we're sysadmins."