Re: Mutt or KMail

> I have been using KMail for some time on my Woody system.  It seems to do
> alright, but after following some of the threads, I have been considering
> going to something like Mutt.  In fact, I reinstalled Mutt and have been
> experimenting with it.

Good. :)

> However, I'm not sure whether I need to make this change or not..  My
> system is strictly a single-user one.  I do have Exim installed, and it
> handles in-system messages, but as of yet, don't have it configured to do
> fetchmail/sendmail.. I simply deal directly with my POP server.  And,
> AFAICT, Mutt can download mail directly, from remote, but cannot send
> there.

My system is also standalone. You configure Exim through 'eximconfig'.

Here's a pattern. When sending mail:

        Mutt -> Exim -> ISP/POP server.

Receiving mail:

        POP server -> fetchmail -> exim -> mutt.

(any comments?)

> So, would it be worthwhile for me to convert?

Worthwhile, yes.

> One of the incentives is the
> fact that Mutt is "modern" in the way it deals with inline attachements,
> etc.. and it appears that KMail isn't.. Also, if I do switch, would it be
> best to let Exim do all the mail downloads as well as uploads, or would it
> be just as well to let  Mutt fetch the mail and simply let Exim send it?
> Are there any advantages or disadvanteges in doing it either way?

You use fetchmail to get your mails. Exim to send your mails. see above.

--
Jan Michael C Alonzo                                     http://dotdeb.150m.com
Debian Reference Project                            http://qref.sourceforge.net