hw raid controler for debian linux system

I have been tasked to build a server that will be running debian.
One requirement is a Hardware RAID 5 system.
So far I have been using software raid, but for this box it has been
decreed that it has to be hardware raid with hot swap.

>From my research, the Intel srcu31 seems to fit these requirements.
However, I don't know anything about its stability/usability in the 2.4.19
kernel.

Can anybody offer any insight into either the Intel srcu31 or perhaps some
other hardware raid controller that works well in this kernel.