Re: dselect ignorance

On Friday 23 August 2002 18:29, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> > I also tend to favor apt-get other than for dist-upgrades and daily Sid
> > upgrades (for which I use aptitude because I want to look over the
> > updates first and may mark some of them "hold"), but I'm curious why you
> > make this recommendation. Is it just a matter of efficiency?

- Aptitude has a very friendly UI for a console app.
- All changes u made can be easily undone
- U can delete unused/obsolete packs easily
- Information over a package is very impressive and u have acces to it in a
fast way
- Its a native apt implemetation and uses all its benefits
- (u can play Minesweeper :-)) )
- it has a cool search feature

> no it sounds like more people pushing the "I hate dselect so you should
> too" party line.

Dselect is a very old tool now and it doesn't fit anymore in the apt
enviroment. I don't say dselect isn't the standard tool anymore, i don't care
wich tool that is... To a new user i would never suggest deselct today.

However, everyone has to decide for urself but everyone has to understand apt
then hes fine :-)

cheers,
Raffaele

--