Re: dselect ignorance

There are basically two ways to proceed with installing these packages.
If it is a simple application and the site only offers a download simply
run dpkg -i xxx.deb to install it. If it is a larger collection of software
then the site might run it's own debian archive (I believe this is what
Ximian does). You simply add their archive to your list, either by editing
/etc/apt/sources.list or by choosing the access option in dselect. Then run
apt-get update, and apt-get install xxx, or choose update in dselect and then
select and install the package in dselect as you would normally do.

I hope that helps,
Bijan

Thomas H. George,,, wrote

Otherwise, my question is this: If I find an xxx.deb package at some site other than the debian stable distribution and wish to use it how should I proceed? Download it? Put it where? Simply run dpkg install xxx.deb? Edit sources.list and use apt-get install xxx.deb? Or is dselect the preferred method to best manage dependencies? If dselect is best, do I somehow bypass the many location questions?