Re: downgrade a package wich is needed by others

* Raffaele Sandrini (rasa@gmx.ch) [020823 12:31]:
> Hi
>
> I did a little mistake... I recently had unstable in my sources list to
> install some specific packages from unstable. Unfortunatly i forgot to
> comment the unstable line in the sources list out when i installed libfam0
> and i had then the version installed suplied with unstable. So far so good
> but now it turned out that i need exaclty the version wich is supplied with
> woody. I don't have unstable in my sources.list anymore but i can't get it
> downgraded. Itried
>
> apt-get --reinstall install libfam0
>
> but apt-get refuses to do that because the version is lower (ahh really? :-)))
> ). So i tried to remove it
>
> apt-get remove libfam0
>
> but apt then wants also uninstall tonns of other packs wich depend on
> libfam0... thats not what i want...

Do these "tonns of other packs" require the current version of libfam0
or can they live with the woody version (or higher) ??

There are "force" options to dpkg, but they're not recommended.
Otherwise, depending on how many "tonns" are, I might just note the
packages it's going to remove and then re-install them with woody
versions and the woody version of libfam0.

I'm sure there's a "clean" way to do this though !

Hall