Re: Suggestions for Working Environment Requested

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 04:35:33PM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am trying for a setup that looks something like this:
>
> Linux to act as a back-end web server to a 2 computer LAN (Linux and a
> Windows 2000 Pro workstation) with all management of the Linux box being
> handled by the Windows box via FTP.

I presume you mean once the Linux box is all set up, you just FTP the
web page files to/from it.  This sounds fairly standard.  If your LAN is
Internet connected, you probably need to be a bit careful in terms of
locking down the box, particularly the FTP side.  You should be able to
firewall such that only your local machines are allowed to FTP in to it.
As for remote management of the Linux box itself, ssh is a good option.

>Object: Ultra lean/clean Linux; website
> development, familiar Windows work environment (Old Dog here. Tough to learn
> new tricks and much too much to do before I Sleep.) Essentially the idea is
> a single computer that I can use like Windows and that runs like Linux.
>
> I have tried various setups (up to 5 now for Debian, did around 10 on
> RedHadme) and have not yet found satisfaction, I would like to ask those who
> may have more experience what they would recommend. At this time the next
> attempt is going to look like this:
>
> 1. the most basic Debian setup (Partition layout is what I want)
> 3. X Windows Environment
> 4. FVWM95 Window Manager (I am realistic, I know I will need to get into the
> Linux box and fiddle with things from that end and I need a simple graphical
> interface and a comprehensive file manager.)
> 3. ?Nedit text editor

Ahh, so you prefer a GUI to the command line.  This sounds like a
comparatively lightweight choice of WM/desktop environment.  Not sure
what Nedit requires to run, if it needs GNOME or KDE that'll increase
the bulk a bit.  If you're going to have this system
internet-accessible though, you'll be wanting a firewall, especially
with running X on it and all.
> 2. Apache webserver with Perl Mods for CGI scripts, MySQL, and PHP
> 5. FTP Server witchi whichi?

Several good options.  I've had good experiences with proftpd, myself.

> 6. Mail Server ?

For an MTA, exim is probably a good option, it's fairly simple to set up
a basic configuration, but powerful enough to be flexible if you need it.
To get the mail from an ISP, fetchmail (or getmail).  As for a mail
server itself, either a POP3 or IMAP server is what you'd be looking
for.  Haven't had much experience with these except courier serving
POP3, which seemed to work OK.

> I don't want to share files or have the Windows box be vulnerable to attack
> if I open the Webserver to the public at times. I am aiming towards some
> kind of cooperative work environment over the web in the future. Any
> suggestions, recommendations for programs/packages or things that I have
> neglected would be appreciated.

Ahh, so you are intending to put the Webserver on the 'net.  Definitely
firewall, preferably a dedicated firewall, but you could also run
ipchains or iptables on the Webserver itself.  Someone else might pitch
in with a pretty GUI tool to configure the firewall.

- Chris