Re: kernel question

ernst wrote:

Hi
I'm running woody and kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 and the pcmcia modules to
that kernel, working fine exept for apm support. Isn't apm a part of that
kernel?

And what about the kernel-heders for the same kernel, do I need that, and
what do the kernel-headers do?

Thanks

/ernst

the bf2.4 kernel is an i386 kernel with lots of drivers compiled in. Eventually you will want to change that kernel to something else, like compile a kernel for your arhitecrture i686, k7 or any other architecture you might have.

Kernel headers are used if you want to compile something that is kernel specific. For example: vmware installs two kernel modules into your kernel. If there are no modules that match your kernel in the package, then vmware asks you about the location of your kernel headers, so it can compile the modules for your running kernel.