Re: driver configuration (sound)

Hello Peter.

Peter Christensen <christenpet@snip.net> wrote:

> I figured I would re-install anyway, which I did last night. I used
> the vanilla kernel as you suggested, and now I have the es1370
> driver! Still no sound, though. I'm getting a message:
>
> Error while initializing sound driver device /dev/dsp can't be opened (permission denied)
>
> Any thoughts?

1. I tried to install sound for my card (Creative PCI 128, chip CT5880)
which needs the ensonic 1373 driver. According to the ALSA Web database,
the es1371 driver is sufficient.  Perhaps you need the es1371 driver?

2. Check that the directory /dev/dsp exists. I have been unable to get
OSS sound working because the /dev/* directories are not created for
some reason. I have got the card to work by installing the ALSA sound
system,  so I know the driver/card combination works. I only had partial
success though - I could only get sound from ALSA applications.

3. Try putting yourself in group audio, or trying sound when logged in
as root.

Let me know how you get on - I will have to tackle this again soon. (I have nearly sorted my CDRW, but the printer is still not satisfactory).

Chris.