Re: driver configuration (sound)

Thanks to everyone who helped with this!  Sound is working now!

To summarize:

I ended up re-installing Debian from CD, choosing the "vanilla" kernel.
Thanks, Chris, for pointing out that the vanilla kernel was what I needed!

But first I tried the procedure outlined in http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/
for compiling a kernel from source, but I wasn't sure what to do with regard
to the kernel version and the --append-to-version option.  I never did find
the new kernel after doing the make-kpkg!

Then I tried apt-get install kernel-image...  Apt-cache showed several
kernels, including kernel-image-2.2.20, 2.2.20-idepci, and 2.2.20-compact, as
I recall.  I wasn't sure if the "vanilla" kernel was one of these.  I tried
2.2.20, using apt-get install.  Then used modconf to try to find the driver,
es1370.  Couldn't find it.  Then tried 2.2.20-idepci and couldn't find the
driver.

At this point figured it would be less frustrating to re-install Debian.  I
used the F3 option on booting from CD and picked the vanilla kernel.  When
the device driver screen came up, the sound driver, es1370, was in the list
of "other drivers," as I recall.

After this it was a matter of adding my userid to the "audio" group, and I
had sound on my PC!

Thanks again,
Peter Christensen