Re: how to run a command at startup

Thank you all very much your help! There`s really a great
support on that list!

Christoph Hoenscheid wrote:
> Hello Debian Users!!
>
> Please be so kind and help me with my debian 3.0r0
> installation. Just tell me what must I do to have the
> command "/sbin/route del default" run immediately after the
> system has booted. There is no "rc.local" avaialble and also
> no "/etc/sysconfig/network" like in Redheat. The default
> gateway is always set to sl0 when the sytem boots, but I
never
> need sl0. I need ppp0 to be set as the default gateway when a
> connection is established, but this only happens if there is
no
> default gateway set. In "/etc/network/interfaces" the sl0
> device does not appear. The command "/sbin/route del default"
> resolves the problem very well, but I don't how to have it
> executed automatically and I don't know how to write a debian
> rc-script. Is there no configuration file where I can simply
> insert this command?
>
> Thank You in advance!
>

> Christoph

> Get your own "800" number
> Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
> http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

Don Spoon wrote:

The "sl0" default route is a product of using diald.  This is
where it
listens to determine if an outside connection needs to be
established,
and is "normal" when using diald.  You really don't want to
delete it
unless you don't want to use the diald package.  There are
better ways
to "fix" this, IMHO.

1.  Read the docs on using diald and set your system up
accordingly so
that you will have a "dial on demand" config via diald.

2.  Remove the diald package (apt-get remove diald).  You can
still
setup a "dial on demand" function using the demand dialing
option in
pppd.  This is setup via the pppconfig program and is located
under the
advanced options.  I used this for a couple of years on my dial-
up
connection without problems, and I personally think it is
easier to
setup than diald.  My knowledge is dated since I have had a
Cable
connection for the last year and a half... YMMV.