Re: SMP Kernel on UP Machine

Michael Madden said:
> Just curious... is there any danger or benefit in running a SMP
> kernel on a single processor machine?  I am considering installing a SMP
> kernel on my UP Debian 3.0 machine.

in theory there should be no problems, that is the code automatically
switches to UP mode when only 1 cpu is present. I have run SMP kernels
on many UP systems and have never had a problem. There is always
the possibility of a problem however. I think the chances of
something occuring are very minimal.

note that my kernels are all 2.2.x based, 2.4.x may be another
story but I bet it behaves the same in this regaurd

nate