Re: Question about 'mount: RPC: Program not registered'

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 04:16:48PM -0700, nate wrote:
> Paul E Condon said:
>
> > mount: RPC: Program not registered
> >
> > I suspect this is something to do with tcp_wrappers, but I have not been
> > able to fix it.
>

> check your local rpc services:
>
> rpcinfo -p
>
> on a debian 3 nfs client you should see something like:
>   program vers proto   port
>     100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
>     100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
>     100021    1   udp   1024  nlockmgr
>     100021    3   udp   1024  nlockmgr
>     100021    4   udp   1024  nlockmgr
>     100024    1   udp   1025  status
>     100024    1   tcp   1025  status
>     100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
>     100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
>     100005    1   udp   1026  mountd
>     100005    1   tcp   1026  mountd
>     100005    2   udp   1026  mountd
>     100005    2   tcp   1026  mountd
>     100005    3   udp   1026  mountd
>     100005    3   tcp   1026  mountd
>

> then do the same on the server, you should see
> something similar. if you are not I reccomend
> shutting down all nfs and rpc services
> (/etc/init.d/nfs-common stop),  then start
> portmap, and restart nfs-common, and run
> rpcinfo -p see if they show up, if they
> still don't, then check to be sure theres no
> firewall on the local machine that would block
> connections, and stop all the services again
> including portmap and check netstat to be
> sure the socket is closed (netstat -an | grep 111
> should come back with nothing) and try again ..
>
> if it still doesn't work do the same to the
> server, if it still doesn't work..then email
> the list again :)
>
> nate

An addendum to my earlier reply.
There was a slight difference in the behavior of the two systems to
the stop and start of nfs-common service: On the server, two services,
statd and lockd where said to be stopped and started. But on the
client, there was no mention of lockd in either the stop or the start
message. I suppose this is not really the core issue, but it will
probably have to be dealt with before I am really out of the woods on
this.

Paul

--
Paul E Condon