Re: DSL problems

Phil Beder wrote:
OK
route -n returns the:
network addr:  192.168.1.0
netmask addr:  255.255.255.0
gateway addr:  0.0.0.0
~~~~~~~~~~~
I have created a /etc/resolv.conf file with the line
nameserver 152.202.0.85
which is the IP adress of the DNS server (IP address the
 DSL router is connecting to).
What must I do to make the debian machine read the new
 resolv.conf file??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I addition I have edited the /etc/network/interfaces  file
 and added the following stanza:
iface eth0 inet static
    address   192.168.1.21
    netmask   255.255.255.0
    broadcast 192.168.1.255
    gateway   192.168.1.1
when I execute a ifup -a -v  it reports everything but the
 gateway
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Frank Brodbeck <oakenshield@gmx.net> wrote:

Okay, sounds better.
It seems that either your gateway is wrong or your
resolve.conf
has to be adjusted just like the others have mentioned
before.

Check your routing with route -n and compare it with the
routing
of the win2k machine or when you're sure that it isn't
the
gateway then adjust your /etc/resolv.conf.

Looking good!

Restart the network by the following without quotes:

"/etc/init.d/networking restart" (done as root)

OR reboot

Then check your routes, ifconfig, etc. If all looks good try pinging something on the internet by name. It should work now..

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-