Re: server can't start NFS (also how to share lp0)

Derrick dman Hudson said:
> I have a router/firewall on the LAN.  It is a small 486 machine with 8MB

>    Aug 19 17:32:55 dman2 rpc.statd[3216]: Version 1.0 Starting
>    Aug 19 17:33:05 dman2 rpc.statd[3217]: unable to register (statd, 1,
>    udp).
> What causes this error?

quite likely your firewall is preventing connections, what I do when
I need to load NFS, is clear the firewall, load the NFS then re
instate the firewall(it can be done in maybe a second, so there
is little risk).

> If I try to start 'nfs-server' (ignoring the above error for now)
> yields these errors :

the rpc services can't talk to portmapper probably due to the firewall

> On a related note, I have a spare line printer which requires a
> parallel port.  Can I use the parallel port via NFS and thus allow cups
> to run on the more capable machine?  If not, what is recommended as an
> extremely lightweight printer daemon?  I will do all data stream
> conversion on the bigger system using cups (that works already) and use
> that daemon merely to pass data from the network to the serial port.

not really, the device file is mainly a pointer to where in the
kernel to send the data I believe. if you share the device over
NFS(which may not even be possible to begin with, I've never tried
sucha thing), it will probably try to use the local kernel on the client.

your better off running a lpd server with cups, which is the
package cupsys-bsd. I use it on many systems and it works great.

then setup your server with another lpd to have it spool to
your cups lpd. be sure you firewall the printer port(515).

nate