server can't start NFS (also how to share lp0)

I have a router/firewall on the LAN.  It is a small 486 machine with
8MB RAM.  When ever I do anything with it (in particular using apt) it
thrashes a lot.  What I would like to do is allow my system to mount /
over NFS with options (rw,no_root_squash).  Then I could run bash in a
chroot jail and use the memory and CPU in my decent system to manage
the disk on that system.  The problem I'm having is starting the NFS
server on that system.  I started portmap, and then starting
'nfs-common' results in this in syslog :
    Aug 19 17:32:55 dman2 rpc.statd[3216]: Version 1.0 Starting
    Aug 19 17:33:05 dman2 rpc.statd[3217]: unable to register (statd, 1, udp).
What causes this error?

If I try to start 'nfs-server' (ignoring the above error for now)
yields these errors :
    Aug 19 17:40:37 dman2 nfsd[3221]: nfssvc: Operation not permitted
    Aug 19 17:40:37 dman2 kernel: RPC: sendmsg returned error 1
    Aug 19 17:40:40 dman2 kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 1
    Aug 19 17:40:40 dman2 kernel: RPC: sendmsg returned error 1
    Aug 19 17:40:40 dman2 kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 1
    Aug 19 17:40:40 dman2 kernel: RPC: sendmsg returned error 1
    Aug 19 17:40:40 dman2 kernel: portmap: RPC call returned error 1

I'm not sure what configuration settings are relevant to identifying
and solving these errors.  /etc/exports is correct, and I believe
/etc/hosts.{allow,deny} are not relevant at this stage.  Could my
firewall be part of the problem?  (I do allow anything over the lo
interface and from the LAN, though)

On a related note, I have a spare line printer which requires a
parallel port.  Can I use the parallel port via NFS and thus allow
cups to run on the more capable machine?  If not, what is recommended
as an extremely lightweight printer daemon?  I will do all data stream
conversion on the bigger system using cups (that works already) and
use that daemon merely to pass data from the network to the serial
port.

TIA,
-D

--