smartlist and exim uid-trouble

Hi all!

I just installed smartlist and did was the file
/usr/share/doc/smartlist/QuickStart suggests. however, sending a message
to the list locally only generates this in /var/log/exim/paniclog:

2002-08-19 20:53:01 17grZD-00012l-00 Neither the system_aliases director nor
the address_pipe transport set a uid for local delivery of
|/var/list/.bin/flist test-request

and the message keeps sitting in exims input spool. googling for "smartlist
exim \"Neither the system_aliases\"" only gave three results from which I get
the feeling theres some configuration with (g)uids required. because of the
lack of a proper understanding of the relationships between the various
system user accounts debian provides, I dont want to fiddle with permissions
and stuff (I could imagine making everything under /var/list writable by
group mail...). So please can anyone tell me what to change in the
configuration to make things work. Pretty much everything is in the default
state after installation. Thank you.

Gruß
lal