Re: failure notice (about relays.osirusoft.com)

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 02:41:21PM +0930, Tom Cook wrote:

> My apologies for discussing politics this list, but this sort of
> random, brain-dead insult is not on.  Have a think about what you are
> saying.  The difference between the Chinese way and the Western way is
> that in the West we have a heated debate, and in China you take the
> minorities out the back and kill them where people can't see them.  Up
> to your personal taste, of course, but I know which sort of democracy
> I like.  This is not a random, brain-dead insult; the abuse of human
> rights by China is a fairly well-documented fact.
>
> Also, the only places I am aware of that political discussions have
> ended in violence[1] are Turkey and Taiwan, and they are hardly
> shining examples of Western-style democracies (although Taiwan is on
> the way).

I haven't followed the thread, so this might seem a little
off-topic _but_:

saying "Western-style democracies" is a complete oxymoron.

I am NOT aware of ANY democracies on this planet. The first one
and only one that existed was in ancient Greece. Of course, please
correct me on that.

Every little dictorship and pupper gov't calls itself democratic or whatever.
[Democratic Republic of Congo last time I looked]

Anyway, US and western govenments are all Republics or Constitutional
Monarchies. And all of them say they are 'free markets'.

Now, china is almost as democratic as US :) The small difference is
that you can't run as independent! The market is definatelly not
'free market'. Countries like Italy are much more democratic
than US as they allow more than 2 corrupt parties.

As with human right violations, well, just look at every single country.
[I'm not defending China here]. Countries like US and Canada dump
grain into the oceans and then there are hunreds of thousands dying
of starvation. South Africa (someone corrent me here?) are allowing
white farmers to get killed off by black 'settlers'. Cuba is classfied
as terrorist country because they house some Colambian "freedom fighter"
whereas England is not, even though they have dozens of people
tied to Bin Laden.

Come on, wake up, countries are classified as good or evil based on
how much money they have and how much richer another can get exploiting
what they have. We deal with china because its big business. US
doesn't deal with Cuba because there's no money in it.

Money. That's why DeCSS can't be used to play DVDs.