Re: SSH/Telnet clients' keymapping bad after dist-upgrade to Woody

On Thu, Aug 15, 2002 at 06:00:42PM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> I often use putty and TeraTerm from Win95/98 to telnet and ssh into a
> couple of Debian systems.
>
> After a dist-upgrade on both systems, keys aren't mapping right at all.
>
> For instance, Home and End do not work right, either at the command
> prompt, or within vim.
>
> I tried recompiling my putty terminfo information, but the resulting
> file was no different from the one already in /usr/share/terminfo.
>
> Making putty tell the system that it's xterm helps a little, but is not
> ideal.
>
> Can anyone give me a clue what broke and how to fix it?  Everything used
> to be working great with both clients.  Thanks in advance.

It turns out, xterm-color works great as a termtype for both clients.
Looks like it's still based on xterm-r6, which has the old mappings,
plus support for color, which both clients can use.

Wow!  I'm surprised no else on the list had run across this or had any
input.  Guess my working style/environment, which involves a lot of ssh-ing into
Linux from Windows, is uncommon.