From: Doug MacFarlane [mailto:madmac@covad.net]
Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 8:08 AM
To: Michael Olds; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: No Screens Found error

I had this same problem.  It's a problem with the configuration of your
Xserver,
typically XFree86.  You can try to reconfigure it properly using:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 (or xserver-XFree86, I can't remember).

and answering the questions differently.  This didn't work for me . . .

At any rate, this process creates the default X11 config file,
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

Or, you can let XFree86 try and configure itself, by issuing the command:

XFree86 -configure

This will create a file /root/XF86Config-4 that you can use instead of the
default above by issuing the XFree86 command directly at the command prompt
with the path to the /root/XF86Config-4 file as an option.  The -configure
command above will tell you what the exact format of this command is (I
can't
be sure of my recollection).

At any rate, NIETHER of these worked for me.

dpkg-reconfigure couldn't get the monitor/display set right.
XFree86 -configure couldn't get my mouse settings right

But, by copying the mouse settings from /root/XF86Config-4 into
/etc/X11/Config-4,
and editing the ServerLayout section properly (may not be necessary), I got
X working properly.

Ofcourse, now my XF86Config-4 isn't "debconf" compliant, so I might screw
it up if I re-ran dpkg -reconfigure, but I could straighten it out, I think
. . . .

Good Luck!!!

madmac

--