Re: Console mode

On Sat, Aug 17, 2002 at 08:09:53AM -0400, Tom Zych wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just installed woody from CD. My old installation started as
> potato, then upgraded to woody / sarge. In console mode, it gives me
> a 24-row screen which scrolls quickly.
>
> The new install, OTOH, gives me a 30-row screen which scrolls
> slowly. (Not *much* slower, but enough to be annoying.) It appears
> to be using some kind of graphical mode instead of the ordinary text
> mode that we all know from the days of MS-DOS.
>
> How do I persuade it to switch back to that mode?

The way that I persuaded it to work was as follows:

1)  Install the kernel sources and everything needed to build a kernel
    the Debian way.

2)  Copy the configuration file from your current running kernel from
    /boot/config-<kernel version> to /usr/src/kernel-source-<version
    number>/.config

3)  Run menuconfig or xconfig.

4)  Select the "Console Drivers" section.

5)  Change the configuration option named "Video mode selection support"
    to "No", and then recompile the kernel.

6)  Install the new kernel and reboot.

This might be a bit overkill, however since I needed to add some
drivers to my kernel, it wasn't out of my way.

Edward Guldemond

Key fingerprint:  29FF 2969 A04E F934 3F03
                  4329 BC56 3AA7 2F57 6735