Re: Debian vs Gentoo

Sami Dalouche said:

> will still be missing, unless all packages are changed, and it's, at
> least to me,
> the most valuable feature of gentoo : the possibility to choose what
> "features"
> we want the program to be compiled with (gnome support, cups support,
> etc..).

A question/problem I have with this is, is it possible for the
gentoo build system to see you changed the options and automatically
adjust the dependencies accoridingly? My FreeBSD systems do not
do this(I don't really expect them to but it would be really
nice). Maybe to have a config file with the list of all the options
and the dependencies that each depends upon ? I haven't used gentoo
myself but I would consider this pretty important for a system
that offers such customizability.

even for me, been using linux since about 1996, there are times
when I have to really hunt down what a package depends on by
a cryptic thing such as  "ld cannot find -lsomeuncommonlib". some
are pretty easy, some are really hard. Then getting the
dependencies of dependencies to build ......

nate