Re: Debian vs Gentoo

> Well isnt debian over taking gentoo with apt-build and apt-src.
> According to apt-build's goals you will be able to do everything gentoo
> can, but with all the advantages of debian.  But then again debian is
> The Universal Operating System ;-)

Yes and No.
It's right apt-build's goal is to "gentooize" debian, but one important
feature
will still be missing, unless all packages are changed, and it's, at least
to me,
the most valuable feature of gentoo : the possibility to choose what
"features"
we want the program to be compiled with (gnome support, cups support,
etc..).
gentoo does that by defining USE keywords, and it's up to the maintener to
add
support for the possible keywords. I don't see how apt-build could do to
automatically guess the right --configure options only with a keyword.
one  solution to this problem is to manually add the --configure options we
want,
but then, we lose the ability to apt-get update && apt-get upgrade.
without -s, and
without keeping a list of modified packages that we still want changed... it
requires
manual intervention during each upgrade, and it sucks... :-(

Sam