Re: How To mount USB CompactFlash reader

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 09:41, ROUSLAN DEMIANIOUK wrote:
> Hi
> I'm trying to read some files from USB CF reader - I have the SCSI and USB
> storage modules built into the kernel. In /proc/bus/usb/devices I'm able to
> see the reader but how do I mount it so whenever I plug it in it gets
> automatically mounted? Hints from googling over the Internet are either
> incomplete or nonworking.

I have basically the usb-storage and the sd_mod kernel modules loaded
(+dependencies, of course), and run the usb device manager (don't
remember which, but I guess it shouldn't matter), I do not have any
problems.

It's some Datafab device (combined smartcard + compactflash, haven't
tested smartcard, though) chip, don't have the exact data here.

It basically 'just works'. I access the compactflash as /dev/sda (no
real scsi devices in the system). Just mount it as you would any block
device.

Two major problems I've not been able to solve so far:
 - Only some CFs are recognized, in my case 8M and 16M from Canon. No
others.
 - The sda device will not be freed if the CF is pulled.

The second leads to
 - I'm unable to use two different CFs without a reboot.
 - If I pull the CF and some application accesses the sda device, fun
happens. (kernel panic or freeze or spontaneous reboot... no data loss
*so*far*).

Yep, not flawless but it-sort-a-works.

This is (custom) kernel 2.4.18 on a
basically-testing-with-a-good-bit-of-unstable kind of system.

cheers
-- vbi

--
secure email with gpg                         http://fortytwo.ch/gpg