Re: Network installation problem

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Pablo Alberto Wolter Nio wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I'm in the migration process from Red Hat to Debian woody. I can start the
> network installation download, but I don't know why one time the download
> process stop in 37% of the total because it found a problen in some package
> and it stop the installation process restarting everything from the
> beginning. The second time it stop in the 67% for the same problem and again
> starts from the beginning. This will not be a great problem, but it takes
> almost 2 days of downloading to get at the 67% point, and now I need some
> help because, any time that the installation program founds a package
> problem it will start always from the begining? Why it deletes the packages
> that are already downloaded? There is a way to keep the downloaded packages
> or start at the point that the fail occurs? Thanks and sorry but I'm new
> with Debian.

I'm not quite sure about the stage your install is naw at. I assume you're
installing packages, either with dselect or apt (i.e. you have the base
system intalled and bootable).

I'm not sure about apt-get (I've never used it standalone), but when using
dselect with apt as an install method, downloaded packages remain after
failure and even interrupted transfer of a package is resumed (i.e. it
starts at the point connection was lost, not at the beginning of the
file). I guess apt-get does exactly the same.

Make sure your installation really starts from 0% or it's 0%, but for the
next package. I guess that 0% is for the next package, the previous is
downloaded and waiting for its configuration time (BTW, in Debian
configuration of packages starts after last package is downloaded, all
downloaded packages are cached on disk and after your installation is
successfully finished you will be asked about removal of cached packages).

I had quite similar problem to yours - my mirror site often timeouts
connections before download of a package finishes. That was scary until I
realized that downloads are always resumed, not started from the
beginning.

Regards,

Adam