Re: Rpm problems

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 22:01, Travis Crump wrote:
> Ken Stronach wrote:
>  >   I am trying to  install my Lexmark drivers for a Optra C710 but the
> rpm keeps giving me a few errors.
>  >
>  >   rpm -i lexmark???.rpm
>  >   error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or
> directory (2)
>  >   error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
>  >
>  >
>  >   Never tried to use rpm's within Debian before but I assume I am
> using it correctly...
>  >   Any help would be appreciated...
>  >
>  >   Thanks
>  >

> you're not. :)  I am pretty sure that the only reason that rpm is even
> in debian is to conform to linux standard base, you shouldn't be
> touching it with a ten foot pole.  What you want to do is convert the
> rpm to a deb with 'alien <package.rpm>' and install with dpkg.  If that
> doesn't work than you have to get the non-rpm option and install it
> manually.

If this is true, why isn't rpm just a script that calls alien and
installs the resulting debian package with dpkg?  Why even have a
program on the system that doesn't work work properly?  By definition
isn't that a bug?

--
-Peace kid
  Scott Henson	shenson2@wvu.edu

"God's the ultimate playa, so naturally He's going to have some haters,"
rapper Ice Cube said. "But these haters need to realize that  if you
mess with the man upstairs, you will get your ass smote. True dat."