Re: Squid speed in potato(2.2.STABLE5)

Mike Dresser said:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, nate wrote:
>
> I know the file is cached, becomes very obvious when I get a 200+ kps
> download instead of 16.

oh, i misunderstood your question, i didn't realize you were
asking about performance when retrieving files directly from
the cache. I too have noticed this is slow, one time not too
long ago i had a webserver who's data was cached, and the
webserver was down(forgot to start it), went to access it and
it was reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaly slow(about 14.4k
speeds). not sure why.

since i downloaded a 32MB file it was never cached, i think
I have squid set to not cache files larger then 2MB.

try to turn on offline_mode to see if that helps, according
to my squid.conf on potato:

#  TAG: offline_mode
#       Enable this option and Squid will never try to validate cached
#       objects.

if that helps then the problem is probably squid trying to
check to see if the data is new or not in which case you
can probably tune the cache expire parameters(I'm not
an expert at squid ..) to improve performance...

if it doesn't...I don't know what to suggest:( (other then
to join the squid mailing list and ask there)

good luck!

nate