Re: Squid speed in potato(2.2.STABLE5)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, nate wrote:

> Mike Dresser said:
> > Does squid just need unholy amounts of cpu and disk space, or is there an
> > artificial speed brake on each connection?
>
> how many users are using it? I am guessing your the only one
> using it during these tests..

There's about 60 people on the ISDN line here, although I know no one was
using the connection actively at the times I've tested.

> the only performance related option I have set is the cache
> setting which is set to 24MB.

I set it to 32MB here.

> Are the files on the local network? can you get faster performance
> from the same site by bypassing the proxy? what software are
> you using to communicate with the proxy?

Apt-get, actually :)  Netscape and IE do the same thing.

If i bypass the proxy, I'm stuck downloading on our 128kbit ISDN
connection.

I know the file is cached, becomes very obvious when I get a 200+ kps
download instead of 16.

Mike