Re: howto bcc the bcc's in mutt

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 04:09:16AM +0000, p wrote:

| 	i have the 100 users's email addys as
| 	an alias in .muttrc.
|
| 	i send the same email to each of the
| 	100 users by addressing it to myself
| 	and "bcc-ing" it to the 100 users.

First, don't send it "to" yourself.  (IMO) It's annoying (particularly
in some circumstances) and is unnecessary.  (the only time it _might_
be considered necessary is to fool MS Outhouse not to put a
syntactically invalid To: header in the message)  If you or any of
your users use spamassassin you'll trigger the FROM_AND_TO_SAME test.

| 	what i've seen is that the 100 users'
| 	email addys are in the "resent-to"
| 	header

Odd.  I would have expected they were in a Bcc: header.  Have you seen
this section of 'man muttrc'?

       write_bcc
	      Type: boolean
	      Default: yes

	      Controls whether mutt writes  out  the  Bcc  header
	      when preparing messages to be sent.  Exim users may
	      wish to use this.

exim doesn't whack your messages at all (unless you explicitly tell it
to with headers_add or headers_remove).  If mutt writes out a "Bcc:"
header with everyone's address in it, exim will leave it intact (as
RFCs 821 and 2821 require).  Thus you want mutt to _not_ write that
header.  See if unsetting that flag helps.

| 	(like the attached, test
| 	email).  what i'm hoping is that
| 	_each user_ doesn't have to see the
| 	other user's email addys, like what
| 	the "list" (deb-user) does--we get
| 	list emails without seeing who else
| 	gets them.

deb-user is managed by Mailman.

| is this "bcc biz" the wrong approach?

It is the "poor man's" approach.  It works (except when sending with
MS Outhouse), and can be done with any (non-Outhouse) client.  It also
requires you to manually manage the recipient list in your mail
client.  Mailman is a heavier approach and is designed for managing
lists like deb-user.  You (or your users) can manage the subscription
list, and you would just send the messages the same way you would for
deb-user.

HTH,
-D

--
"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user' as
meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver."

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/