Re: 497 days uptime = 0 days uptime ?(uptime rolloveR)

* nate (debian-user@aphroland.org) [020813 23:34]:
> in august 2002 I moved to a new apt .. qwest cut my dsl off
> prematurely, so I moved the box(live, connected to a Cyberpower
> 320VA UPS) to work(2 miles away), and hooked it up to my t1 there,

Yipes, man.  You're waaaay too attached to that uptime!  I think it
would be a therapeutic catharsis for you to just reboot the machine for
no technically necessary reason.  ;-)

Anyway, I really hope you had a good reason to not power down while
running it to work and back.  UPSs are generally supposed to be plugged
in even when the power's out (think ground).  I'd never risk yanking the
plug on my system and running it somewhere else to plug it back in
unless I thought for some reason that it wouldn't survive a reboot and
the hardware was cheap and replaceable.  The hardware is fragile enough
as it is, without having to worry about crashing a spinning HD or
getting a little zap when plugging in on a different circuit, all the
while handling an UPS attached with a power cable and hurrying so that
the battery doesn't run out.

I'm glad it worked for you, but kids, don't try that at home.  Leave
your UPSs plugged in and grounded at all times, and power down if you
need to relocate.
--
http://www.doorstop.net/