Re: 497 days uptime = 0 days uptime ?(uptime rolloveR)

Jeff said:

> You could just look at the date stamp in /var/log/dmesg for the
> original bootup and do a quick calc?  That won't change, unless
> someone hacks it.  That's proof enough for me...and I'm really very
> impressed!

cool, i thought everything in /var/log was auto rotated, i woulda
thought that woulda been rotated out of existance ages ago but
it is there! April 1 2001, april fools! hah..this machine has
gone through a lot too... ->

in august 2002 I moved to a new apt .. qwest cut my dsl off
prematurely, so I moved the box(live, connected to a Cyberpower
320VA UPS) to work(2 miles away), and hooked it up to my t1 there,
no downtime .. about 2 weeks later i got dsl at my new place and
did the reverse, picked up the box while on the ups, ran down
to the car, put it in, drove over quickly(not too fast though)
while the UPS was beeping over and over..and ran it upstairs hooking
it to every power outlet i could find along the way to give the
UPS some extra charge ..then hooked it up. all in all the UPS
lasted a good 10-15 minutes each way..since its a "dumb" UPS
it has no way to tell me how much runtime it has. not bad for
a $30 UPS!! I don't know why people call me crazy. it is perfectly
normal.

> By the way, by the time you decide to reboot this system, it's going to
> be so far obsolete that you'll have to just replace it!  :-D

yeah, your probably right..i just hope i don't have any serious
power outages, at my office(as above, 2 miles away) has had 2
serious outages that lastest nearly 3 hours each in the past
couple of months, none up at my apt though, luckily..

thanks for the tip on that log, nice to see that information is
not rotated out of existance.

nate